Tofu often has a bad reputation, especially among meat lovers on the grounds that it it does not taste good. Truth is, tofu is pretty bland in flavour! The key is to season it really well as the tofu will soak in all the flavours from the marinade or the seasonings. This vegetarian BLT is a perfect example of a tofu recipe which is packed with flavour! It is a little sweet, salty, smoky and hot and might be the recipe which will help you make peace with tofu!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Quantity: 4 portions
• 450g firm or extra firm tofu
• 3 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon oil for the marinade and 1 tablespoon oil for cooking
• 1 tablespoon water
• 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 6 basil leaves
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings of your choice: Tomato slices, lettuce, avocado
Bread of your choice
1. Cut the tofu into slices of about 1 cm thick and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl to make a sauce and pour that marinade over the tofu slices. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and cook the tofu for about 6-7 minutes on each side until it becomes lightly brown and a little crispy.
4. Spread the basil mayonnaise on the bread, add the tofu, tomatoes, lettuce and enjoy!