Ever wonder what to do with stale bread? Well think no more because here is the ultimate recipe that makes use of old bread. This recipe also gives a second life to your stale bread and therefore can contribute in reducing food waste.
Quick, easy and delicious, this bread pudding can be served for breakfast or as a dessert with ice cream.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Quantity: 6-10 portions
• 4 cups of stale bread, cut in small pieces
• 3 cups (750 ml) milk of your choice (Cow’s milk, soy/almond/oat/cashew beverage)
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten in a small bowl
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) ground flax seeds
• ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
• 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
• ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
• ½ cup raisins
• ¼ cup of a liquor of your choice such as Amaretto or Rum). If you do not want to add alcohol, you can simply add water.
1. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
2. Soak the raisins in the liquor or water for at least 2 hours so they can soak up the flavour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. Place the bread in a big bowl and soak in the milk for about 30 minutes.
5. To the soaked bread, add the beaten eggs, ground flax seeds, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and the soaked raisins. Mix well.
6. Pour the mixture in the greased dish and bake for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown in colour and becomes a little crispy.