How many times do you find yourself rushing out of the house without having had time to eat a proper breakfast? And then 10 or 11 o’clock comes, and you are so famished that you cannot concentrate fully at school or work and are already eager to eat your lunch.
Having breakfast is important as it replenishes the body’s energy needs for the busy day ahead. With this recipe that you can make ahead of time, you do not have to sacrifice your sleep for you to be able to eat in the morning. This breakfast burritos can be frozen for up to 2 months. All you have to do is thaw them in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes and they are ready to eat!
P.S. Serve the burrito with a green salad or some raw vegetables and it also makes a great lunch!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Quantity: 8 portions
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- 8 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) coriander, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the beaten eggs. Stir the eggs with a wooden spoon for about 3-4 minutes until they are well scrambled. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Add the diced onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes until lightly brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and the beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the burritos. In the centre of each tortilla, put ¼ cup of scrambled eggs. Put 2-3 spoonfuls of bean mixture on top of the eggs, followed by 2 tablespoons of diced avocado, 2 tablespoons grated coriander and 2-3 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Fold the top and bottom edges of the tortilla first and then roll up the tortilla on the other side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the folded burritos with the seam side down. Cook for about 3 minutes until lightly brown and turn over the burritos to brown for another 3 minutes on the other side.
- For make-ahead breakfasts, you can pack the burritos in a resealable plastic bag and freeze them for up to 2 months. When reheating them, just put them in the micro-wave for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the stuffings in the middle of the tortilla.
Fold the top and bottom edges of the tortilla first.
Then roll up the tortilla on the other side to close the burrito.