Banana muffins with pecan oats crumb topping
With their crumb topping, these muffins taste like banana bread and pecan crumble…combined! They are moist, soft and crunchy, satisfying and absolutely bursting with flavor.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
Quantity: 10 muffins
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas
Pecan oat crumb topping
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) cinnamon powder
- Lightly grease muffin tins and preheat the oven to 375°
- Mash the bananas and set aside.
- Prepare the crumb topping: mix all the ingredients (flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon) together in a small bowl until the mixture reaches a breadcrumb consistency. Put the mixture aside.
- In a big bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture and mashed bananas to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Pour the batter in the muffin tins and sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.